I got bagged and tagged for the Crazy 8’s meme by Lotus Carroll at Sarcastic Mom and she should know she has taken my Meme virginity. I also want everyone to know though that she was a thoughtful and passionate Memer and I’ll never forget her. Day 6 and I’ve resorted to a NaBloPoMeme for a post? Dear Lord… Well, here goes nothing…
8 Things I’m Passionate About
1. Jack and Adam – My two sons. My greatest accomplishments. My greatest challenges. Being a father though flip flops between feeling natural to feeling unnatural more often than Former Sen. Fred Thompson flip-flops his position on the Fair Tax Bill. (How’s that for obscure strong-armed political commentary?) I’m determined to be as good a father to my boys as my father is to me.
2. Running – I was always the “fastest kid in school” and… (please look away if you don’t want to see me toot my own horn, unless that turns you on. Does that turn you on? Do you like it when I toot my own horn?)…and have run 3 marathons and a ½ Iron Man Triathlon. (Swim, bike run) As corny as it sounds, running is one of the only times when I feel strong, in control and invincible.
3. Writing – In person I’m closer to troll than to droll, but on the page I can craft a line, labor over every word, pace a joke and deliver a punch line. In person my delivery is worse than a one-armed OBGYN.
4. My Wife: A saint for putting up with me. Truth be told, I’m a tremendous jackass.
5. Laughter – In every situation I default to the joke, almost to a fault. I am inappropriately irreverent at all times and am hardly ever serious. I’ll even make the obvious joke regardless of how hackneyed it is. Today someone commented on my About Me page that my cat should quit smoking (Marlboro Menthols) and I wrote back that he’s trying to quit but now he’s got Cat Patch Fever. What?
6. Poetry – Little know fact about me, I write poetry. Lots of it. Mostly in the same vein as Billy Collins former US Poet Laureate.
7. Baseball – Lifelong Yankee and baseball fan. (Arggg…Damn Red Sox!) From April to the end of October are the greatest months of the year. Gods of the dugout, robes decorated with the stains of chewing tobacco shelled sunflower seeds lying among the batting helmets one leg up on the steps staring out into the artificial daylight of a night game. Gods of the on deck circle and batter’s box swinging an extra bat anticipating their trip to the plate unconsciously executing their rituals digging in their heels obscuring the edge of the plate in a dimming eclipse of the strike zone. Gods of the pitcher’s mound, toeing the rubber, juggling the rosin bag on their knuckles, checking the count, checking the base runners, checking the signs. Gods of the base path the foul pole the warning track.
8. New Friends – There is nothing better then meeting new people you never thought you would meet who get you, who make you laugh and who make you a better person.
8 Things I Want To Do Before I Die:
1. Have a daughter: Shhhhhh… don’t tell my wife. She doesn’t know.
2. Publish a book of Poetry – Hey NaBloPoMoetry? One of these posts I’ll bare my soul (please look away if you don’t want to see me bare my soul, unless that turns you on. Does that turn you on? Do you like it when I bare my soul?)
3. Travel to Ireland/Italy/Spain – Really, do I need to further explain this one? You all understand, right?
4. Complete the Iron Man Triathlon in Hawaii – The Lava Fields? A marathon after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride? I will do this.
5. Do a set as a stand-up comic – Sarah at Imaginary Binky and her hobnobbing comedian husband rekindled this pre-humous yearning.
6. Chug Red Bulls and Vodka with Tina Fey in David Letterman’s Green Room.
7. Be a Grandfather – And I insist on being called Poppy. Non-negotiable.
8. Survive a plane crash on a tropical island then kill a polar bear and organize an army to fight against the others. God damn I miss Lost.
8 Things I Say Often:
1. Jack. Eat. – I say this a few dozen times a day.
2. Take a bite – a subcategory of the above
3. So I got that going for me, which is nice. – from Caddyshack
4. Look at you, you Baby Gorilla – One of my best friend’s nickname is BabyGorilla. The line is from a movie called Dirty Work.
5. Children Love an Acrobat. – This is from Scrooged. Jack hates this line for some reason which makes me say it all the more.
6. Well there you are, James! – Another line from Scrooged. I’ll say to Kathleen, “Where’s Adam?” and at that moment Adam will toddle around the corner. “Well there you are, James!” It just seems to work for us.
7. Oh No! My chicken is gone. – From a song that Jack learned at school this year. I don’t know what it means but it’s funny as hell.
8. Say What? – The word “say” is said low in a baritone voice. Then the “What” is all falsetto in a questioning tone. Say What?
8 (actually 9) Books I’ve read recently: (this one is going to be pretty lame since the only reading I currently do is with Jack during our nightly reading for eating bribery session during dinner)
1. The Magic Treehouse #1 – Dinosaurs Before Dark
2. The Magic Treehouse #38 – Monday with a Mad Genius
3. The Edge Chronicles #1 – Beyond the Deep Woods
4. The Edge Chronicles #2 – StormChaser
5. The Spiderwick Chronicles #1 – The Field Guide
6. The Spiderwick Chronicles #2 – The Seeing Stone
7. The Spiderwick Chronicles #3 – Lucinda’s Secret
8. The Spiderwick Chronicles #4 – The Ironwood Tree
9. The Spiderwick Chronicles #5 – The Wrath of the Mulgarath
8 Songs I Could Listen To Over And Over: (I’ve decided to cheat on this one.)
1. Anything by the Foo Fighters – I have such a man-crush on Dave Grohl
2. Anything by The Beastie Boys – Been Listening for 20+ years
3. Anything by Van Morrison – There’s no one like Van Morrison
4. Anything by The Rolling Stones – Absolutely anything.
5. Anything by Pearl Jam – Most influential band in my life
6. Anything by Ella Fitzgerald – My Queen of Jazz
7. The Buena Vista Social Club album – Ever listen to it? Get it today.
8. Three way Tie between Jack Johnson, Ben Harper and Norah Jones.
8 Things That Attract Me To My Best Friends:
1. They call me back
2. Complete disregard for societal norms
3. Disposable income
4. Love of Wine, Women and Song
5. Yankees Fan
6. Will play golf with me at 6:00 am on a Sunday Morning and supply the bloody marys
7. Accepts me for who I am
8. Will have sex with me
8 People I Think Should Do Crazy 8’s:
1. Sarah at Imaginary Binky
2. Chag at Cynical Dad
3. Sandy at Momisodes
4. Lisa at Refuse to Blog
5. moxiemom at Moxiemom
6. Steve at Baby Daddy
7. Whit at Honea Express
8. Tara at In My Copious Free Time
There are so many other funny and brilliant new friends I’ve made through NaBloPoMo but in the interest of time and space I simply cannot include them all. You do not like it so you say? Try it, Try it and you may. Try it and you may I say.
So now I’ve exposed myself to the world. Please look away if you don’t want to see me expose myself, unless that turns you on. Does that turn you on? Do you like it when I expose myself?